Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Gastronomy lessons in Oz (III)

Well let's continue talking about food. All the asian groceries you get you are of substandard quality Plus they cost many times more than what I get back home. Therefore my body is not tensing up not only because of the cold weather...
The 'pearl' barley here tastes nothing like the real pearly ones back home. I made barley gingko soup but it tasted quite awful because the barley grains were rough and big. Just awful - imagine chewing round wheat grains in your mouth (if they come round that is).
Soya bean milk tastes flat. Okie its not as thick and not as sweet than the ones back home which means less syrup and less soya beans used... sounds like a healthier alternative? But come on it doesn't taste as great?!
Indo Mie (and other brands of instant noodles). Well something got lost in the MSG flavouring as they got transported from Asia into the Dry and Deserted continent.
I shouldn't be bitching and complaining so much because having kaya, Chu Qian Yi Ding instant noodles, Pokka Peach tea, guilinggao and Hello Panda and Yan Yan beats having none at all; save dire cravings at night while mugging. I think I'd been less bitter and ungrateful if they didn't charge me so much for it. And please don't lecture me on the need to offset higher tax rates/import costs blah blah. I'm one helluva ignorant, unreasonable customer!

lux at 11:13 pm

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment