Monday, July 12, 2004

The ties that bind

Today I went to Novena Church even though I'm no Catholic. No service, no rosary, no bouquets, I was there simply to pray for my family and friends. My friends have been asking why I want to make a trip down so urgently... well the reason's really uncomplicated and obvious for me.
Thinking about it, going there today has almost completed the cycle for me. It all started with my mum.
She went there years ago to pray and make offerings in the hope that I'd enter my primary school. Soon, I was enrolled in C.H.I.J. Bukit Timah. Till this day it remains the school which has left the strongest, most stubborn mark on my developing years.
She went there once more to pray when my father and grandfather lost his job during the Asian economic meltdown and when my grandfather got hospitalised after a stroke almost simulataneously. Being the unripe green fruit I was then, I had little inkling of these weighty, serious matters happening around me. But I was mature enough to know that it was an aggravating period for my mum.
Likewise I sought solace from praying in the church when my grandfather died years later from stroke. I prayed for his safe journey to a better place, regardless of time spent atoning for his earthly sins.
Today, more than a decade after my mum prayed for my smooth transition to state education I prayed that I will successfully complete this last stage.
I simply hope that nothing unforeseen and unfortunate will befall my family come these four years. They said Novena's well-known for being able to fulfil wishes and perform 'miracles'. So part of the reason why I went down today was because I was superstitious. When it comes to those I love and care, no amount of rational thought can assure or truly convince me.

I hope He hears me.

lux at 11:06 pm

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment