Friday, July 16, 2004

The price for a screwdriver will be AUD$0.12

Today we went zooting around for our necessitites. As usual we were financially needy - my bank draft will probably only be fully cashed in by Monday and my roommate's waiting for her telegraphic transfer to be accounted for in 48 hours time. This leaves us with less than 200 in ready cash and all of it coming from me... So its budget budget shopping. Thankfully there're lotsa them here in melbourne city, though the prices can't beat those from Fairprice. Tell my wallet this is not some fraud?!
I signed a 24 month contract with Optus and got a Samsung E700 at zero dollars. It's not free, come on! If I break this I am fully liable to pay a heavy price for it. I'm not sure if this is the best deal around. However mobile phone plans are fairly complicated here. I'll briefly explain the situation we're facing now:

There seems to be no way to effectively mend that widening hole in my pocket. Even if I comfort myself by saying, "It's all part of the establishment costs, lux.", it does not change the fact that prices are fairly steep here and the exchange rate favours the Aussie dollar.

I found an excuse to be fashionable with the [actually not too sudden realisation] that my Nike tennis shoes were a size too tight. I knew they were uncomfortable before I wore them over for the ultimate walking experience [you walk a lot in the city] but I thought that with repeated usage the material fibres will stretch and expand. Presumably, I was foolish in thinking this way. So a pair of two-inched brown suede boots now stand assertively next to the rejected pair.

Realising we had to stretch the worth of our [and for the present, mine] dollar, we did budget grocery shopping. Thanks to Home Brand, similar to the Fairprice brand back home, and their subgrade, affordable olive oil and sweetened condensed milk and one-ply toilet paper.

And we cooked. We had no knives, chopping board and only a saucepan to begin with. The bottle of oyster sauce had a bottle cap which bottlecap-opener-less girls cannot open with bare hands and the primitive hot/cold water technique. We did have stirfried bakchoy and soggy egg-coated rice in the end. Oh yes, the rice was soggy even though we have a rice cooker. And it's not machinery malfunction but a clueless friend switching off the power when the lid started dancing on hot steam and bubbles. Our meal would have been tasteless if not for the substitution of screwdriver for lid opener.

When we heard that priceless 'POP!'...

lux at 7:00 pm

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment